Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Unpacking Iowa and Vermont

Interesting article in the NYT.com. There is an exploration of what was behind the ruling (Iowa) and legislative process (VT), concerning gay marriage.

What I'm struck by are how important the phone calls and contacts are that we make with legislators. Consider Rep. Robert South (D) of a conservative district in VT:

Representative Robert South, a freshman Democrat from a conservative district, said he reversed his position after 228 of his constituents reached out and urged him to support the override, compared with 198 who urged him to oppose it.

“It was very difficult for me,” Mr. South said, “because the marriage equality bill, as far as I’m concerned, has split the state. I see how close my numbers are for and against same-sex marriage, and it’s divided my constituents, and that’s what upsets me.”

Click here for more.

Pace!

B

No comments: