Sunday, August 24, 2008

ENDA Doesn't Include DOMA! Oy!

When I worked at Duke University, they at least allowed me to include Dean as one of the beneficiaries of some of my health benefits as my partner. Such is not the case with the Presbyterian Church (USA), in which the Board of Pensions does not cover partners...and the PCUSA would be deemed as not abiding by the "Employment Non-Discrimination Act" (ENDA) winding its way through Congress in terms of ordination of LGBTQ people.

So what is interesting is this: the rights and privileges of partnership-marriage of LGBTQ people is wrapped up in employment issues. Even though I was denied tenure because I am gay at Duke University--because each department and School has its own choice of faculty members--there were benefits for LGBTQ couples.

Now I find out this morning, re-reading queerty.com and towleroad.com, that the federal ENDA bill does not repeal DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act)! ENDA has to include DOMA--which defines marriage as between a man and a woman--because it is part of the federal laws of the land.

Not even Barney and Tammy (Frank and Baldwin) can change that!

Oy!

Click here for more.

Pace!

B

No comments: