Monday, June 30, 2008

The Strings Between (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Trans, Straight) Parent(s) and Child/Children

My children are flying from the east coast to the west coast by themselves, solo, for the first time. They're each on their own flights, going on different airlines. Of course they got to the hub where they were to make a change, and both children's flights either took off late from the east coast, or there was a snafu at the hub airport.

My heart was beating slightly faster.

I am a parent.

I'd like to control the flights, but that is impossible.

I'd like to control the weather so that their flights are not hampered, but that is impossible.

All of these things are part(s) of parenthood, regardless of one's sexual orientation. It is who we are as parents: we care, we worry, we love, we get mad, we try to control, we exert, we persuade, we cajole, we nit-pick...yeah, we love.

It is all about love.

Pace, B

No comments: