Sunday, June 22, 2008

Reporting from the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) as a Gay Dad Who Happens to Be a Ordained Clergyperson of This Denomination


Yesterday was surreal: I was signing copies of ON BEING A GAY PARENT in the middle of the exhibition hall of the San Jose Convention Center, which is the place where we Presbyterians are meeting for our bi-annual General Assembly. I signed books, talked to people, and discussed issues from folks with disabilities and pilgrimage to gay parenting. And the sky was still blue when I walked outside; the sun was shining, and there was no earthquake.

Being a clergyperson in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and being gay are not incongruous any more.

Wow!

"Why didn't I do this sooner?" I asked God. "What was I really scared of?" No one came up and took the books off the stand where I was signing them. No one said I couldn't do it. No one objected to my book. In fact, one person said "I thought you were Episcopalian, because of who printed the book?!" which is Church Publishing, an Episcopal publishing house.

I'll be blogging from San Jose, CA for the next two days.

We did vote for a Moderator, Bruce Reyes-Chow, who is empathetic with the LGBTQ perspective and issues, which is good. And the worship with both straight and LGBTQ people has been good. I am tiring of hearing the same line about "We're not going to take being locked out anymore," spoken from young LGBTQ leaders-to-be.

It has sunk in: It is O.K. to be gay and a dad and a Presbyterian clergyperson. I no longer fear for my ordination. It is O.K.

Peace,

Brett

No comments: