Friday, January 30, 2009

Sorrow: Ted Haggard Is Stuck! How Can We Help?

This morning, on CBS Morning News show and CNN's morning news show, there was Ted Haggard, either being interviewed live (CBS) or from the tape from the Larry King Show (CNN) that he did last night.

I heard Ted say two things:
1. He was told by one therapist that he was a heterosexual "with issues";
2. He was told by another therapist that he was a heterosexual with homosexual tendencies.

The man has had "feelings" or "homosexual tendencies since he was in high school (if not before). He has had sex with multiple male partners--with or without the substance.

Being a "homosexual" is not based upon acting upon such feelings. Feeling attraction to anyone physically, emotionally, relationally, spiritually, intellectually, and other intuitive impulse is what it means to be who we are, gay or straight. This is simply how God made us to be.

I agree with Andrew Sullivan: once Haggard is at rest with who he is, by God's own hand and design, then he will be able to live life fully. Until then, he will continue to live this contorted, lying life, because he is trying to be something he is clearly not.

Click here for more.

pace!

B

2 comments:

Heather said...

I have really followed this story.. and I felt disgust at first towards how hypocritical he had been. Then I felt disgust towards his church. Now.. .after watching him on Oprah of all places, I do too feel sad for him. Clearly he's staying within the realms of his church family and likely a recommended therapist. Not only do I feel sad for him, but for his wife and family. :(

Brett Webb-Mitchell said...

I reach right down in my gut and agree with you: there is a sadness, a drama unfolding, where truth is still not being claimed.

Sad.

Tragic.

As someone else said, "The truth shall set you free." I hope Ted can grab hold of this truth...and soon.

Brett