Friday, September 25, 2009

NYT Magazine: Middle School and Coming Out

“When I first realized I was gay,” Austin interjected, “I just assumed I would hide it and be miserable for the rest of my life. But then I said, ‘O.K., wait, I don’t want to hide this and be miserable my whole life.’ ”

I asked him how old he was when he made that decision.

“Eleven,” he said.

This is from the nyt.com/magazine article on being in middle schoo/junior high and coming out.

I knew that I was gay when I was eleven years old. I had absolutely no idea of what to do with those feelings, thoughts, inclinations, and dispositions.

Click here for more.

Pace, B

2 comments:

jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jim said...

It's great that kids are able to come out and be themselves early in life. I know it's still not easy and there are still challenges for them, but there is so much more acceptance of gay people than when I was that age.

Thanks for posting