Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad's Day

We took the kids out tonight to celebrate Father's Day, and I must admit I haven't laughed so hard so long in a good long time. Great night. I not only love my kids, but love them!!!

So, as I've already written in ON BEING A GAY PARENT and in my Q-Notes column, I wrote about Father's Day, and the idea of re-naming or carving out a day: Gay Parents' Day. After all, Mother's and Father's Day were carved out in the earlier part of the 20th century because of the need to pay attention to the work mothers and later fathers do in this world.

Again: rather than fighting over whose day it is, name it a "cultural icon that needs a new addition," and let's find a day to call Gay Parents' Day.

And what day should it be? May is Mother's Day, June is Father's Day: thus July is a suitable time. Third Sunday in July?

What say you?

Pace!

B

No comments: