Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Meet Me In Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport: U.S. Sen. Larry Craig and the U.S. Senate Ethics Committee

After a wonderful book tour in the Bay Area, I was on my way home to North Carolina tonight, flying through the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport today, and I went to the men's restroom on the way to Concourse G. I suddenly thought, "I should go find the men's restroom where Larry Craig made history!" It was in this airport that Larry Craig was arrested for his, um, act of indecency, e.g., soliciting sex in the men's bathroom.

While I was meditating on the actions of Larry Craig, who is, most likely a still-closeted gay man--or at least one can come to this conclusion after reading about his past--there was a report on the AP wire regarding the Senate Ethics Committee's findings on Mr. Craig. They came to the conclusion that Mr. Craig acted "Improperly." Click here for more.

On the book tour, I met other closeted gay men and lesbian women who are pastors or are in training to become pastors, along with out-gay and lesbian clergy. In sensing the kind of work and energy it takes to stay closeted, like Mr. Craig, I have to say that there is a sense of healthiness and wholeness among the out-clergy persons. I envy these out-clergypersons, having played the game of "don't ask, don't tell" for over two decades as an ordained clergyperson in the Presbyterian Church (USA).

If only Mr. Craig had the courage to be the person God created him to be...

Peace,

Brett

No comments: