Saturday, June 21, 2014

Amazed, delighted, thankful for the moves within the PCUSA



Well, we came late to the party of inclusion of people like me, the LBTQI community, but the Church finally came to a place of inclusion. Today, I am free to marry a same sex couple in a state where such marriages are legal. And sent back tot he Presbyterieis is a new wording of marriage, which includes the traditional one man one woman, but also "two people."

In reading some of the responses from the conservative voices in the Church, I'm a little taken aback, though I expected it. While it was painful to hear people argue on the floor of General Assembly we should study this again, one more time, I was also sad to read that such unions--like mine--would seem to be either an abomination (thanks Leviticus...helps a lot), or is simply not in line with the Gospel (at least according to a skewed reading of Paul, though Jesus never says anything).  It was these voices that I allowed to speak to me that pushed me deep into the closet and keep me there for the first 40 years of my life.

In the words of MLK, Jr., today I'm free at last, free at last, thank God all might, I'm free at last.

And thanks GA of the PCUSA.

Pax!

B

No comments: