Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rejoice! The Boy Scouts Are Joining the 21st Century!

The Boy Scouts are a part of the grand narrative that is the story of America. Many young boys have gone through Cub Scouts to Webelos, eager to move on as young men to becoming Boy Scouts.




10 Surprising Facts About Your Body After Birth



As I wrote in an earlier post, I was a Cub Scout and Webelos. But it was also a family affair, with my parents taking an active part in leadership. My Mom was a Cub Scout troop leader, and my Dad showed a group of young boys how to tie knots as part of our mission as Webelos. I decided not to become a Boy Scout, simply because I was intrigued with the prospect of flying, which was offered to me through the Civil Air Patrol. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Cub Scout and Webelos, and I always knew I had a place in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA).



However, not everyone was welcome to the Boy Scouts. Gay Scout members and lesbian and gay parents who were Scout leaders were forbidden in the BSA. The BSA board went to the U.S. Supreme Court in Boy Scouts of America vs. James Dale in June 2008, in which the Supreme Court ruled that since the Scouts was a private organization, they had the right to deny Scout master James Dale (who is an out gay man), membership in the Scouts. James Dale’s expression of being gay was in opposition to the message of the BSA that openly denied “homosexuality” among the Scouts. As recently as July 17, 2012, after a secretive two-year review of their policy toward gay Scouts and LGBTQ parents, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed its policy to exclude gays from joining as Scouts or being leaders.   To read more, click here: http://www.parentsociety.com/todays-family/same-sex-parents/rejoice-boy-scouts-of-america-may-be-reversing-course-on-gay-scouts-and-lgbtq-leaders/

No comments: