Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hospitals and Us

I recently gave a paper on hospital care and LGBTQ people at the annual meeting of TPAS: Texas Alliance on Patient Services (San Antonio, TX, Sept. 26-27, 2013). While I'm aware of the changes brought about by the DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) under President Obama--such as designating others to be our advocates and being there with us--we still have to have papers, "just in case.

One of the discussions points after the talk was the sense of vulnerability that comes in the hospital. She shared that someone's HIV status (positive) was shared in the hospital room with members of this gay man's family WITHOUT his permission.

I was reminded of the sense of freedom I had to come in and out of a hospital room when I was in a heterosexual marriage and dad.  While I could walk in and out of a hospital room with my children, I was always worried I didn't have that kind of privilege with my partner were he in the hospital.

Needing to work on hospital care and LGBTQI people.

Pax,

Brett

No comments: