Coming out started with debutante balls from the 19th century, and "closets" was bantered about LGBTQ community since the 60's:
The terms “coming out” and “closet” are bandied about in lesbian,
gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) circles and among straight allies,
without thought as to where these terms come from. I know that I use
the metaphor of “the gay closet” in my writing when I explain the
process that I went through in claiming the person I am. What’s funny is
I don’t remember where I got the language for talking about it. Yet, I
knew full well the process of slowly coming out, keeping one foot in the
gay closet, and the other foot outside of the gay closet. And as I
“came out” of the “gay closet,” I was not only re-orientating my life as
an out gay man, but the lives of those around me. At first, I took it
for granted that I would understand myself differently as a man who is a
dad, pastor, and writer who is gay. I had not taken into account the
rest of my family and friends, who would also experience a change in how
they viewed me and how they, in turn, viewed themselves.
In the process of coming out of the closet, I first had to experience
the re-orientation of myself with myself. I actually would look at my
face some mornings and quietly say “I’m Brett, and I’m gay,” hoping no
one else, especially my then-wife, heard me say those words. In dialogue
with a good therapist, and growing more comfortable and resolute that
this was a necessary step in my life as I tried to live truthfully, I
then focused on coming out to my then-wife. This was necessary because
she was my first and most significant relationship. Next, along with my
then-wife, we both sat down with our children who were very young at the
time. (My daughter was 7 and my son was 4 years old.)
More here: http://www.parentsociety.com/todays-family/same-sex-parents/coming-out-of-the-gay-closet/
China and Europe Agree to Deal to Limit Chinese Exports of Hybrid Cars
-
The European Union said that the deal could roughly halve Chinese shipments
over four years. But it also could lead to an even stronger Chinese auto
industry.
43 minutes ago

No comments:
Post a Comment