Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rep. Ike Skelton: A Voice of the Past

I've heard Judy Shepherd say this quite a bit: she cannot wait until some of the older white and gray headed usually men (but there are some women to be included in this mix) are gone from positions of power, primarily in the U.S. Senate and Congress, where laws are made. I'd include faith communities.

This quote from towleroad.com from the mouth of Rep. Ike Skelton is a case in point. He said:

Rep. Ike Skelton (D-MO), the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, says repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" would put families "in a difficult position" because then children would be asking about homosexuality:

Said Skelton: "What do mommies and daddies say to their 7-year-old child?"

My response? They tell the truth: these are two people who love each other.

Period.

That was easy.

I also was asked by a military man on the plane from DFW to RDU what I thought about the repeal of DADT, to wit I said, "It's a little late, but better late than never!" He was taken aback. "You know you have been working with gay men and lesbian women, yes?" He didn't know. Out of all the years he had been serving, he did not know. I told him, without question, he had.

It is time to repeal DADT.

Pace!

B

2 comments:

manxxman said...

My question is "what 7 year old even knows about DADT", is Ike nuts or what?

Brett Webb-Mitchell said...

Send in the clowns...