Sunday, March 21, 2010

Preaching at Home Church

Homecoming is a spring, summer, and fall ritual in the South. I haven't seen it played out in the winter months as such.

Today was Homecoming Sunday for me as I preached at Valley Community Presbyterian Church in Portland, OR. My family joined 40 years ago. I was in the youth group, ran summer youth group programs, led choirs, sang in choirs, played pianos and organs, led worship, was married in the Church, my two children were baptized in the Church, and the Church witnessed both my marriage, divorce, and now still recognize and honor me as a preacher from time to time, even as an out gay Presbyterian pastor.

This is my home church.

Pace!

B

2 comments:

manxxman said...

Sounds like the perfect church.....

Brett Webb-Mitchell said...

It was incredile, manxxman!

Let me know if you all need a fill-in preacher!

Brett