Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Agony of Defeat and the Thrill of Victory


When I grew up, on ABC Sports, there was a mantra on ABC Sports re: what each athlete or group of athletes faced: the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

I often felt the same re: the marriage equality in NC: the agony of defeat was palpable after the loss on the Amendment 1 movement.

Today, NC (as part of the Fourth Circuit Court region) is on the edge of watching the Amendment 1 come to a crashing defeat, being stripped out of the NC Constitution, much like the anti-interracial marriage amendment was tossed out by the US Supreme Court.  There is a sense of electricity among Facebook and twitter friends and associates as people in VA, CO, UT, and now NV and ID are getting "gay married." I am smiling broadly outside and in.  I cannot believe the roll out of history in my life time.

Will Dean and I get married? Stay tuned!  Will it be in NC? OR? HI? Stay tuned.

But this I know: soon over 30 states will approve of marriage equality with the great majority of this country's population living in those state.

Civilization? Is that you knocking on the door of NC?  Well...

Pax!

B

No comments: