Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Star-Crossed Fan Base for Some LGBTQ Couples

From my essay on www.parentsociety.com:
It’s all the rage, recently: lesbian and gay Hollywood personalities raising babies. Even here on Parent Society, there have been stories about gay parents: comedian and television host Rosie O’Donnell welcomed the newest baby born in her large household; Glee and Nip/Tuck producer Ryan Murphy welcomed a new baby into his family; and music icon Elton John and his partner David Furnish recently announced the birth of their second son.
And these are just the most recent gay and lesbian stars who have had babies. There are plenty of others, like television star Neil Patrick Harris and his partner David Burtka, who have recently welcomed children into their hearts and homes.
While I admit to looking at my fair share of Us and People magazines, and listening the fun news on the E channel, I’ve rarely been wooed by the behaviors, fashions, or habits of those in the music industry, Hollywood, or Broadway.  I choose other people in this world as role models, people whose life stories make me realize that I am in the presence of someone who has courage or charity of heart. However, I am aware that I live in a society in which people’s very lives are modeled after celebrity stars and starlets … how else can we explain all the attention given to the Kardashians?

More here on: http://www.parentsociety.com/todays-family/same-sex-parents/hollywoods-gay-and-lesbian-parents-are-todays-role-models/

No comments: